Thread: front axle locker / lsd

Default front axle locker / lsd

My 07 Silverado Classic 4x4 has a factory G80 in the rear end. Problem is that only 3 wheels of the 4, are pulling in 4 wheel drive. When I get stuck, most of the time it is due to 1 front wheel not turning (cause no locker). My question is, if there is an aftermerket locker / LSD for the front end of my truck. I know there are some air and e lockers, but I need a cheaper solution like the G80 in the rear end. I looked and searched for lockers that go in the front end, but didn't have too much luck. Of course I am not going rock crawling with it, but I need to get through some deeper mud. Any advise or sugestions?

DM

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonk
    My 07 Silverado Classic 4x4 has a factory G80 in the rear end. Problem is that only 3 wheels of the 4, are pulling in 4 wheel drive. When I get stuck, most of the time it is due to 1 front wheel not turning (cause no locker). My question is, if there is an aftermerket locker / LSD for the front end of my truck. I know there are some air and e lockers, but I need a cheaper solution like the G80 in the rear end. I looked and searched for lockers that go in the front end, but didn't have too much luck. Of course I am not going rock crawling with it, but I need to get through some deeper mud. Any advise or sugestions?

DM
    Automatic lockers or L/S for the front are a huge no-no! Put one in, and it's a crash waiting to happen. With the front end locked, you will lose steering at speeds above a crawl on slick surfaces, and have additional drivetrain binding on less slick surfaces. The switchable lockers are nice because you can lock when you need it to get through the bog, then unlock for driving.

I don't think I've ever seen an auto type locker available for the GM IFS diffs. They may be out there, but only for very specific applications. The SFA's can use them, because the front gears are the same as those used for the rear in many cases.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to save money on this, short of abandoning the idea......Unless you really enjoy spending time in ditches and are married to your insurance adjuster.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Other Options?

If the front locker is to costly some other ideas to consider.
    Tires - can make a big differance. The factory are not for mud or much of anything else IMO. Granted, the more aggressive, the more they will need replaced.
    Front Winch - Don't know if you have anchor points or not but would be better than needing to call for help.
    For Deep mud will need to raise things up so they are not dragging.
    2013 D/A 2500HD Crew Cab<> B & W Rollover Ball, Bed cover, def deleted

I agree with Dave. IFS does not need a LS in front for all but the hardest driving.

Now on a solid axle, they are common but you must still be careful!

FB
    2006 GMC D/A C/C S/B, Snug Top Shell, Bed-slider
    33 inch Toyos, 17/8 Pro Comp Wheels, 4 in SS MBRP Exhaust-Turbo back, Evolution Tune, Mag-Hytec on Rear and Trans, Tranco Jr Shift Kit.

I do have some new BFG all terrains on my truck, but it is still not cuttn it. To make things right, I guess there are 2 ways. Either do nothing or get an e- or air locker. Well that's a lil much doh for me now as I just bought the truck brand new. So I think, I'll wait until I have more mulah, as when I priced them there were 1100 Can$ a piece
    If I go e-locker I have to have 2. One for the rear and one for the front! First I had in mind something like a Detroit Truetrac in my front end... working together with the G80 in the back.

You can leave the 80 in the rear and go with the EL up front.

Make sure your truck is up to the task you ae asking with enough travel. A little harder with IFS but good shocks are a great start.

FB
    2006 GMC D/A C/C S/B, Snug Top Shell, Bed-slider
    33 inch Toyos, 17/8 Pro Comp Wheels, 4 in SS MBRP Exhaust-Turbo back, Evolution Tune, Mag-Hytec on Rear and Trans, Tranco Jr Shift Kit.

Talking

You probably already know this but, two old 4x4 tricks to try, turning the steering back and forth sometime's will shift traction to the other wheel.
    Or very gently riding the brakes will sometimes make the front shift power to the other axel or both. Of course you have to be careful and you don't want to ride your brakes constantly. Sometimes this works and can get you out of a bad spot.
    But most of the time on our dually's, when I am in the soft mud especially red clay and I have to go into 4x4, it's usually too late and down we go. But I do usually dig four nice holes before I get the tractor and chain out. We don't really do any four wheeling with the truck, just hazzards of the wrong time of year on the farm and the ground being saturated. I run the stock tires and I guess a taller tire would be better.