Thread: ABS light coming on and ABS not working

98 Chev x-cab 4x4 6.5
    No muffler or cat

The ABS light will go off when the truck is restarted but comes back on as soon as the truck starts to roll ahead or backwards without even touching the brake pedal.

Although this would be nice to have fixed, just for peace of mind, I sure to enjoy the way the brakes work without the ABS more than when it was working. I can finally feel what the front brakes are doing on the ice and can more easily tell when the wheels are getting close to locking up and skidding.

If anybody has any ideas on what the ABS problem might be, I sure would appreciate your 2 bits worth.

I had some electrical problems which disable the ignition switch, put all the gauge lights on and disabled the front diff lock switch. This turned out to be a bad ground wire on the back passenger side of the intake manifold.

debles99

Might be a broken wheel speed sensor, we had them replaced in our 96 K2500 6.5L TD and our 94 Chevy S-10 Blazer, both times same symptoms as you explained.
    1999 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 4x4 19k<br />2004 Nissan Titan SE CC V8 4x4 6k

Pics of this sensor and it's placement??
    And how to change this?
    I may have the same problem...

rjschoolcraft Guest

Check the codes. The ABS codes will tell you where to look. It is likely a bad speed sensor. On the front, they're in the hub. Fairly easy to change.

Unhappy

Easy to change Guess how much they cost.