Thread: Will there be a Duramax Suburban?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow Why no diesel Suburban?

Regarding a new Duramax Suburban, we've waited in eager anticipation for seven years now. Here are my thoughts...

GM's latest web site explains why a gas engine offering in their medium-duty line-up is a worthwhile consideration, and perhaps hints at why GM is not bullish on diesel. The following was clipped from their web site.

The advantages of gas:
    1- Gas engines cost less than diesel engines.
    2- Gasoline is more universally available.
    3- Quiet operation.
    4- Good solution for lower-mileage applications.
    5- Easy to service.
    6- Fast cab heater warm-up.
    GM has kept its finger in the pie, and has developed many diesel Suburban prototypes in the past seven years - using both the Duramax 6600 and a V-6 derivative. In my opinion, they haven't moved on it because of a lack of corporate will. Their V-6 was poised to pounce, but when Ford dropped their V-6 PSD, the V-6 Duramax was quietly moved off the table. GM was waiting for Ford to break the ice - i.e. to assume more of the risk in market development.

We've been told the Duramax/Allison won't fit the Suburban without a body lift. GM has said a body lift would make the Suburban more prone to roll-overs. I think these are valid points. All it would take is a change in the die that stamps the floor-pan to accomodate the Allison. But, the Allison is not necessary for a Suburban. The G-series cargo vans are available with the Duramax 6600 and 4L85-E automatic. Why not the Suburban?

Back in 2001-2002 period, I was told that GM was selling all of the gas Suburbans it could produce, and the question was posed to me, "Why would we complicate the manufacturing process by offering a diesel engine?"

If Ford began offering a new diesel SUV, GM would soon follow. They already have the diesel programs, they already have the engines, they already have the prototypes. They just need a little corporate will - in my opinion. So do Ford and Dodge.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 02-01-2007 at 22:46.