Thread: Will there be a Duramax Suburban?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The latest Diesel magazines seem to think that the DMAX is done and that a newer engine design from a different supplier may be an option (hope those are false rumors). I too am in the baby DMAX in front of a 4L85E or the upcoming 6L80E would be a very nice rig. Too bad GM doesn't get on the band wagon. I hate to rag on GM, I know they have their issues and regulations to meet, but throw me a frickin' bone and build it already.....pleeeease!
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

If the DMax were done this model year (which I find hard to believe) - I would stockpile, rebuild and run DMax/Allison combos until I retired twenty years from now.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-28-2007 at 21:42.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

There is a outfit in the states that will convert 00 to 07 yukonXL's or Suburbans with the Duramax Diesel. I called that outfit up once, before I bought my 07 Silverado. There are a few problems to overcome in the Suburban Duramax conversion that one has to think about.
    1. The Allison doesn't fit and the Burb has to have a 2" Body lift.
    2. The Hydro boost
    3. The electronic gas pedal
    4. The front and rear air conditioning
    Now until here I was fine but then:
    5. The computers and modules. That dude that does these conversions had to make his own software to make everything work, so it isn't easy to just yank a D-Max in a Burb, otherwise I would of done mine. Google Duramax Suburban...

DM

I don't think its that hard just time consuming and a lil expensive. My friend Felix here in Miami is currently working on finishing up a project of his. And every one knows that he is the man when it comes to a diesel conversion, and horsepower in excess of 900. He just finished a Ford Ranger conversion to a 5.9l Cummins with twin turbo and supercharger. And is almost done now with his LLY into a 2005 Cadillac EXT. He is not real big, but when it comes to perfomance and racing people flock to him, I guess thats why he started putting 24.5" rims on regular 3500, F-350, and all other duallies out there since the 90's. Just a lil input