Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow

If you are using a quality synthetic, it's probably be OK. I was referring to the labels of the synthetic brands. I've seen the result of dino ATF in a 246, and it wasn't pretty. The clutch surfaces were coked, and the syncro's were scored pretty bad. I suspect dino fluid fails at the temp of the friction surfaces during operation. Much like a failing auto tranny when it starts to slip, the fluid gets cooked in the hot spots. I know of a few using Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetic, and they seem to be fine. Contact the supplier of your fluid to confirm compatibility, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

A new article was uploaded to the web site a couple of days ago that relates to this subject - of preventing a transfer case fluid leak...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/tcase.htm

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 05-17-2008 at 12:14. Reason: spelling

sjd_sd Guest

my 2002 2500hd had a leak which the dealer claimed came from the seals. They replaced these, and a few days later it started to leak again. This time they said it came from an "upper" seal. In all they charged me $1100. After having it back for a few more days, more leaks. Now they found a "hairline crack" and wanted $1400 for a new housing. I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled the truck out of the dealer and went by the local transmission shop. He found a pin-hole in about 30 seconds which looked like some problem with the way the metal was formed. This mechanic kept it for a day and put some "liquid metal" in the hole. It's been fine ever since and he didn't charge me anything. I would rather drink gear oil than go back to a dealer.

DA BIG ONE Guest

Perhaps, a new unit maybe a better choice!

http://www.transfercases.com/