Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Count on failure

Quote Originally Posted by EdSpaek View Post
    Guys

Curious

We have a fleet of the 2008 Silverado 2500HD's 4x4's with the Allison trans- is this year protected from the transfer case issues ?
    Is your fleet still under warranty? If your transfer case is due for a fluid change have a mechanic probe the hole with a telescopic magnet after the fluid drains out or in some cases it just falls out while the fluid is draining, this is how I partially found my problem if the clip has broken it usually goes to this area as the pickup magnet in the case may grab it. If you are replacing rear tail shaft seals now make sure you check the right side upper part of the case for fluid or dirt tracking. View the photos on the Kennedy site carefully it takes a few veiwings but becomes more clear to those us who have made temp patches. If you see the clip parts come out in the fluid or extract part of it with a magnet it is only a matter of time before a hole is bored through the case and it will happen no doubt.

If you find broken clip pieces dealers are all to familiar with the problem. Ask the dealer to replace it under warranty? I can tell you GM goodwill is no longer paying for anything. You might try to buy the Kennedy spacer ask the dealer to install it in place of a new GM clip design. You should not have to worry about it after that.

I have found out from another GM mechanic that as far as the clip design goes all GM did? They curled the ends of the steel clips. The steel clip is the same gauge depth as the old one. Look at the old design on the Kennedy photos.

The tech bulletin from GM advises the parts counter to sell this clip with each rebuilt case as I mentioned in my previous post. God love'em GM does anything to sqeeze out every dime from the customer!
    Last edited by Hawker; 07-01-2009 at 18:26.