Thread: Dually rear wheel spacing increase?

Hi,

I am a new member to this forum, with a 3500HD DA on order. I am thinking about replacing the origional tires if they are as bad as the origional Firestones on my previous 2500HD.

Currently using Michelin XPS Ribs tires for towing on hard road surfaces and would like to use them on the new truck. For the short term thinking about installing 235x85x16s on stock wheels. From the forum posts I learned the need to increase the centerline spacing for the real dual wheels for this size tire. Has anyone replaced the inboard steel wheel with one that has a greater offset towards the center of the truck? Is their clearance to do this? Are their any cons to this option? Considering this option because previous posts suggested that adding the necessary size spacer between the stock rear wheels has two problems:
    1). The centering part of the hub does not extend out far enough to allow the outer wheel to be centered with an extension of more then a few tenths of an inch. ( Does any one have the measurement of how much the wheel can be extended and still be hub centered) and
    2). The rear wheel studs are not long enough to allow the outer wheel to be attached when moved out. (Does installing longer studs require the axles to be removed?)
    thoughts?

Any estimates on how much I need to increase the spacing for a 2000 lbs load on rear axle.

Thanks for your help,
    2003 GMC 3500 C/C D/A 2WD,<br /> Fire Red W/ Dark Pewter<br />o Michelin XPS Ribs/Traction<br />o 3M Invinca-Shield<br />o AMSOIL 2-Stage Air Filter<br />o Putco 4\" Boss Bars<br />o Kennedy Headlight Booster Kit<br />o Denali Headlight Capsules<br />o GMC 03\'Accessory Mud Flaps<p><br />28\' tag enclosed trailer:<br /> o triple axle;<br /> o 21000 GVW<p> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1</a>

Stage one

Better then trying to go through it all check out this search...
    =&gt;http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

Each one of these threads tell a whole lot about what your seeking......Best option if you got the "DEAD PRESIDENTS AND BENNEY" handy and accessible look at the last thread first......

Welcome to the BB.......

MAC

Maverick Guest

Mac,
    That link takes you to the main forum page. Don't know if you did that on purpose or not.

Does a dually rim off a C/K have the same offset as a 01 or newer?

Hi Stage 1,

Welcome.

I ordered the On/Off road tires for my dually, they were Goodyears. They are a bit better than Firepops. I took pretty good care of mine and got 140,000km before they wore out, but typical Goodyear, if the asphalt was wet feather the throttle gently in corners or she might go into a power slide. From your message I assume you ordered highway tires, I haven't paid attention to what they put on in that application.

I wanted BFG All-Terrains but in 215 the are D range, Only Goodyear and a couple lesser brand tires come in E range. I wanted BFG because I had the most success with them on my previous truck. Had to get 235/85 or 245/75 to get E range from BFG.

A couple of people here have successfully put 235s on the stock rims but I wanted at least a backup plan before I tried.

I tried finding a set of steel rims with slightly more offset maybe use spacers up front to restore Track Width.

Also considered Alcoa Hotshots but they recommend stock size tires and tires would have to be swapped between rims to rotate. They are supposed to be coming soon. Then again Christmas is coming soon, again.

Looked at adapters to put on 19.5 rims and 19.5 rims made for our stud pattern. Expensive, heavy and not jumpng for joy for tire selection (they might be more suitable for your application).

As you noted, rear spacers don't work because of hub centering.

Unless somebody has released some recently, there aren't any longer studs available and it doesn't seem anyone is rushing out to do it.

I know a parts person at a local GMC dealer, they put custom wheels and tires on a lot of the trucks they sell. They suggested American Racing D-8, they are a chromed alloy rim. The rears come with a little more offset and I have a ton of room between my 235s and I may put 245s on the truck next year (high milage I wear out tires every year). The biggest draw back with them is they are opposite pattern front to rear so I have to pull tires to rotate. They are pretty aggressive looking, a bit much for some people.

There are options out there. The can take some work to find or pateince waithing for them to come to market.
    White \'01 Chev Duramax/ZF-6 Ext.Cab 3500 LS 4x4<br />Cooper LT245/75R16 Explorer S/T on<br />American Racing D-8<br />Active Wheel Balancers<br />Synthetic Front to Back<br />Warn Transformer & HS9500i on Multimount<br />Underseat Storage Bin<br />Hi Idle Mod<br />4 Headlight Mod

Thanks for the welcomes to the forum. Tons of knowledge here, I greatly enjoy reading new and previous threads.

Mackin thanks for the reply and pointer to previous discussions on this subject. However I could not get the link to work for a specific thread. Any help is appreciated.

Maveric, I grew up in Fairbanks in the 60s and 70s before big oil business hit town.

HotShot thanks for the headsup on non availability of longer studs for the rear wheels.
    I had AR Wheels on my previous truck. I am trying to go with Alcoa's to match the wheels on my trailer, if possible. Did you look into changing to a different size/thread? I may try to have the inner rear wheels offset more if their is clearance.
    thanks for the help,
    2003 GMC 3500 C/C D/A 2WD,<br /> Fire Red W/ Dark Pewter<br />o Michelin XPS Ribs/Traction<br />o 3M Invinca-Shield<br />o AMSOIL 2-Stage Air Filter<br />o Putco 4\" Boss Bars<br />o Kennedy Headlight Booster Kit<br />o Denali Headlight Capsules<br />o GMC 03\'Accessory Mud Flaps<p><br />28\' tag enclosed trailer:<br /> o triple axle;<br /> o 21000 GVW<p> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/stage1</a>

I was hoping to make it easy and just link to my search page...Go figure...

Stage 1

Anyway if you don't want to copy paste,use the search feature,search for Wheel Spacers in the DRIVE TRAIN FORUM and you will get these hits.......

MAC

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cg...=7&t=003396&p=
    http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=002272
    http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cg...=7&t=003776&p=
    http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=003366
    http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ub...c&f=7&t=003995

Stage 1,
    You can run 235's without a spacer on the stock rims. Even with a 2000lb load as long as you keep the tires at max psi(80lbs). The tires may kiss a little going over some bumps but that won't hurt them as long as there isn't constant touching.
    I am running 255's so I installed 1 3/4" spacers.
    Had to grind a 1/4" off the studs to make the spacers work.(not too happy about that). If I did it again I would order the 2" spacers(no grinding!) The outside wheel is stud centered not hub centered(not happy about that either).
    Using stock nuts to hold the outside wheels on.
    So far, no slippage.
    Mac suggested conicals(acorn nuts) but our wheels are not bevelled to take them and I didn't relish taking a drill bit to them to get the bevel.(worried it might weaken them)
    I've been consistently hauling a 18K gooseneck with no problems.(23,000 km so far)
    Kev
    '02 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 4WD D/A CC Black/Graphite (Totally Impressed with this Truck!!!) Pulls a 24' Sooner Goosneck Cattle Trailer w/a 30,000lb Draw-Tite Flush Mount Remove-a-Ball Trailer Hitch & Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer Brake Controller
    Mods So Far: Edge Juice, 4.61 HOT!!!,BD XMonitor, 4" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust w/5" S/S Tip, AFE Air Intake Snorkel, 3" Front Suspension Torsion Bar Levelling Kit, Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85's, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs with in-cab Dual Air Command, Correctrack 1 3/4" Dually Spacers,F&R Centramatic Wheel Balancers, BD Exhaust Brake, Howes Fuel Additive, J&J S/S Millenium Running Boards w/lights, J&J S/S Headache Rack & Rails, J&J Lighted Grab Handles, Manik S/S Tail-Light Guards, GoRhino 7000 series S/S Brush Guard, PIAA Halogen Driving Lights, Lund Sun Visor, Cloud Rider F&R Mudflaps, S/S Door Handle and Tailgate Inserts, Style-Line S/S Wheel Inserts, Auto Ventshade Bugflector II, Auto Ventshade F&R Window Ventvisors, All Star Under Rail Box Liner, Duratrunk Tool Box, Catch-All F&R Floormats, Sportwing Chrome-Bolt Graphics across doors & dually fenders.
    Just another "Farm Truck"

Cool

CanadaKev,
    If you're in the market for new wheels.........I've just installed some ULTRA 02 aluminum wheels on my truck. They are a stud centered type and look like the original Alcoa design.
    http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheels_list.cfm?id=1

mowser
    Silver metallic, 2002 Chevy 3500LT D/A ExtCab 4X4: Banks 4\" exhaust/ Boost&EGT gauges: ULTRA 02 Aluminum Wheels with Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOS tires: AFE Magnum Force/Stage 2 intake system and Juiced by Edge. <br /><br /> member #2673

mowser,
    Thanks, they look good!
    I'd have to sell a cow or two to pay for 'em
    Kev
    '02 GMC Sierra SLT 3500 4WD D/A CC Black/Graphite (Totally Impressed with this Truck!!!) Pulls a 24' Sooner Goosneck Cattle Trailer w/a 30,000lb Draw-Tite Flush Mount Remove-a-Ball Trailer Hitch & Hayes Lemmerz Syncronizer Brake Controller
    Mods So Far: Edge Juice, 4.61 HOT!!!,BD XMonitor, 4" Magnaflow Stainless Steel Exhaust w/5" S/S Tip, AFE Air Intake Snorkel, 3" Front Suspension Torsion Bar Levelling Kit, Cooper Discoverer S/T 255/85's, Bilstein Shocks F&R, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Helper Springs with in-cab Dual Air Command, Correctrack 1 3/4" Dually Spacers,F&R Centramatic Wheel Balancers, BD Exhaust Brake, Howes Fuel Additive, J&J S/S Millenium Running Boards w/lights, J&J S/S Headache Rack & Rails, J&J Lighted Grab Handles, Manik S/S Tail-Light Guards, GoRhino 7000 series S/S Brush Guard, PIAA Halogen Driving Lights, Lund Sun Visor, Cloud Rider F&R Mudflaps, S/S Door Handle and Tailgate Inserts, Style-Line S/S Wheel Inserts, Auto Ventshade Bugflector II, Auto Ventshade F&R Window Ventvisors, All Star Under Rail Box Liner, Duratrunk Tool Box, Catch-All F&R Floormats, Sportwing Chrome-Bolt Graphics across doors & dually fenders.
    Just another "Farm Truck"

Mowser

How do you like them?? No PICS??I've been running them for about 5k now....Not looking forward to going back to steel in anouther month do to inpending foul weather.....

CanadaKev

I'll take some Roast, some Porter house,T-bones, and 10#s sirloin burger stock,vacuum packed in dry Ice .... Unless your selling on the hoof in that case no thanks......

MAC

Cool

Mackin,
    I love them.....I seen your's and just had to have them. I liked the looks of the original ALCOA wheels that I had on my "93" GMC 6.5 TD 3/4 ton long box extcab and wanted the same for the 2002 D/A "BIG DOOLEY". I found out that ALCOA was only going to bring out the "HOT SHOT" style for 01/02 trucks so the ULTRA 02's were the the answer.......
    Sorry I don't have any pictures with ULTRA 02's on the truck but I hope to soon......

mowser
    Silver metallic, 2002 Chevy 3500LT D/A ExtCab 4X4: Banks 4\" exhaust/ Boost&EGT gauges: ULTRA 02 Aluminum Wheels with Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOS tires: AFE Magnum Force/Stage 2 intake system and Juiced by Edge. <br /><br /> member #2673

Cool

Mackin,
    Just finished uploading some pictures I had on the camera [ULTRA 02 WHEELS]. They aren't anything fantastic but they give you an idea of what they look like on my "BIG DOOLEY". Check out www.picturetrail.com/MOWSER3

mowser

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: mowser ]</p>

mowser

LOOKIN GOOD !!!!!!! Ultra Wheels make two styles....The ones we are running and a tear drop slanted hole sorta look...... Not sure what there called but I've seen them.....
    My buddy bought the Slanted hole ones for his truck ,he seen mine on with the lug nut covers ta boot ....He has same style too now as we do .....Put the tear droppers on his 93 dually.......

MAC