Thread: Rancho 9000x or Explorer Pro Comp MX6

mtomac Guest

My stock pogo sticks need to go (28,xxx miles.) I'm looking at the Rancho 9000x (9 position adjustable) shocks or the Explorer Pro Comp MX6 (6 position adustable) shocks. Has anyone tried either of these shocks. I'm looking for some feedback on them before I shelled out $83 (9000x) or $90 (MX6) bucks a pop for them @ summitracing.com

Kennedy Guest

Bilstein all the way! Liked them so much I bought (into) the company...

I've had several sets of 9000's fail

I've had ES3000 (Explorer) shocks fail on an S-10 2wd

Haven't had, nor heard of any Bilsteins failing. I'm sure they do, but most go past 100k plus happy miles with them!

Bilstein is the ONLY answer if you want a long wearing shock on a vehicle that sees substantial intended use - ie, not a street queen. My vehicles for Southern Mexico and Central America probably get the toughest suspension use available - Rancho 9000 last about 8,000 miles, Edelbrock IAS about 7,000 miles. Believe it or not, the D/A stock shocks lasted over 10,000 miles. Bilsteins have gone over 50,000 and are still on the truck. Every front shock I have used in the past 15 years in Mexico has gotten so hot after about 2 hours running on rough roads at reasonably high speeds that you could not put your hand on it without getting burned, except for the Bilsteins and one set of Deutsch Tech. Bilstein was so confident the shocks would hold up that they offered not only to buy them back, but to pay the labor for installation and removal. They didn't have to - shocks are all still on the vehicles. If you drive a street queen that never is used hard or carries loads or goes offroad, then most shocks will do. My trucks undergo extremely severe road conditions 3 months and 20,000 miles a year, and haul and tow the rest of the year. Bilsteins are the only answer I've found.

MT... I dont think the MX6's are available for the HD's yet. They were out, then pulled (per a distributor) for redesign. Very nice shocks though. And, IIR, they were 9 way adjustable instead of 6. Another plus on the MX6's over the 9000's... the adjustability is on BOTH ways of travel unlike the rancho's.
    2001 JUICED GMC 2500HD SLE AlliMax, Longbed, Ext. Cab, 4X4 Summit White, G80 Differential, Husky Liners, Black UWS Toolbox, Black Westin Nerfs, Black Replacement Front and Rear Bumper, Black Bedrail caps, Autopage 2 way LCD Alarm remote start,JL Audio, Hella, Cobra, ProComp Mud Terrains, Tekonsha Prodigy Controller, Fumoto, Rhino Liner, 400 Watt Inverter, Pioneer XM Radio<br />KENNEDY 4\" Exhaust. 100,000 miles on January 31,2003!!<br /><a href=\"http://home.att.net/~markstanco\" target=\"_blank\"><b>PHOTOS UPDATE 11/02</b></a><br /><br />Gutter Pipe is your friend. Leafblower is your enemy.

Smile

I called to get the MX6's, but they are not out for a standard height. They had them if I wanted to put on a 6" lift Due out in 2 months. I went with the Bilsteins due to the rave reviews here. 2 Months is a looonnnngggg time to pogo around. Maybe when the Bilsteins wear out, I'll try them.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit