Hi,

I am a new member to this forum, with a 3500HD DA on order. I am thinking about replacing the origional tires if they are as bad as the origional Firestones on my previous 2500HD.

Currently using Michelin XPS Ribs tires for towing on hard road surfaces and would like to use them on the new truck. For the short term thinking about installing 235x85x16s on stock wheels. From the forum posts I learned the need to increase the centerline spacing for the real dual wheels for this size tire. Has anyone replaced the inboard steel wheel with one that has a greater offset towards the center of the truck? Is their clearance to do this? Are their any cons to this option? Considering this option because previous posts suggested that adding the necessary size spacer between the stock rear wheels has two problems:
1). The centering part of the hub does not extend out far enough to allow the outer wheel to be centered with an extension of more then a few tenths of an inch. ( Does any one have the measurement of how much the wheel can be extended and still be hub centered) and
2). The rear wheel studs are not long enough to allow the outer wheel to be attached when moved out. (Does installing longer studs require the axles to be removed?)
thoughts?

Any estimates on how much I need to increase the spacing for a 2000 lbs load on rear axle.

Thanks for your help,