Thread: Trailer Decking Material Question.

Question

I have an 18' car hauling trailer which the decking needs replacing. I have an opportunity to obtain some clear Burr Oak from a local saw mill at a fairly good price.

Have any of you had experience with this type of decking? Did you treat it to resist rot and if so, what product did you use?

Thanks,
    Jim Cobler<br />01 GMC Sierra CC 2500HD Short Bed, 2 WD,Duramax/Allison, frame mounted pre-filter, bed fuel tank with a re-circulating pump that draws from the botton of tank through a water separating/filter into other end of tank with return tubes.

mdadgar Guest

Use something really cheap and then get it shot with Line-X. That stuff is nice and grippy and completely indestructable.

I have some friends with all-metal open trailers (for towing their race cars) and they had the trailers completely covered in Line-X and are very happy with it.

- Mark, Line-X in the truck bed

Kennedy Guest

I'd suggest planed lumber for sure. Personal preference is Southern Yellow Pine or DouG Fir.

I like the untreated stuff. Keep it sealed at the top and it will last a LONG time.

Drain oil is an excellent weatherproofing. Not pretty, but does well. I put it on with a roller in multiple applications...

Our semi dropdeck has an oak floor on it and I agree with Kennedy that used oil works very well to treat it with. We just put a coat on our trailers every year.
    \'03 Chevy D/A C&C Triple C Hyd. bale bed<br />\'91 KW W900 3406 Cat<br />John Deere\'s, New Hollands, Etc.