Thread: In Cabin Air Filters

I thought I saw in an older post that Amsoil made a filter for the A/C system in the cab.

If that is true could someone please post the part number or send it to me at:

dndstarr@shaw.ca

thanks....

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 SLT Duramax CC/SB Carbon Metalic, Juice\'d, JK Light harness, HD sprayed box liner, J&J Millennium running boards, Fumoto valve, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, TFP Stainless door handle inserts, Michelin LT265/75R/16, combination Tool Box & Fuel tank(165L) with timed transfer flow, 2 Micron CAT Primery fuel filter, dndstarr@shaw.ca<p>PIC\"S <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax</a>

The Amsoil cabin filter number is AF1114. I just received mine but, haven't put it in yet. It is a single filter made by Hastings.

I've seen some posts here talking about a two filter set and have no idea what the deal is since I only received one??

I guess I'll have to get to it today to see if it's one or two.

Cool

There are 2 rectangular filters in the housing. Drop the interior panel and leave in the screw that is closest to the center console, remove the small access panel to get to the filters, the first one will come right out but You have to dig for the second one.

John
    VOLUNTEER FIRECHIEF "Without COURAGE, all other virtues lose their meaning" Truck Info
    indigodually@hotmail.com
    Member # 7674
    Pulling many trailers including an '03 34' Montana 5'er adapted to G/N
    Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It...Then Sent It Back!

Arrow

If you order #AF1114 (Hastings brand) from Amsoil, you will get two filters in one box. If you got only one filter, there is one missing. Both filters are neaded for the change.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the part number and quick response.
    The amsoil dealer up here in the north country said they didn't make one.
    I will give him the part number and see what happens.

thanks again

[img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 SLT Duramax CC/SB Carbon Metalic, Juice\'d, JK Light harness, HD sprayed box liner, J&J Millennium running boards, Fumoto valve, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller, TFP Stainless door handle inserts, Michelin LT265/75R/16, combination Tool Box & Fuel tank(165L) with timed transfer flow, 2 Micron CAT Primery fuel filter, dndstarr@shaw.ca<p>PIC\"S <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/hx30/lst?.dir=/duramax</a>

Thumbs up

One of the members posted awile back that you can was them like you would a swimming pool filter.
    I did this and it worked just fine.

Soak it in warm water and with auto dish washing soap for a while then hose off good let dry and your good to go.
    2002 SIERRA K3500 SLT,EXT CAB DMAX,ALLISON,ONSTAR,ELECTRIC TAIL GATE LOCK,SPRAY IN BED LINER,
    PUTCO 4"STAINLESS STEEL TUBE STEPS,STEEL HORSE TAILGATE STEP,
    PRODIGY ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROLER. THE JUICE . 6/26/09 154000 Still on factory brakes

Its my undertstanding(correct me if I am wrong) that GM did not put the filters in the 2003 to start with.
    I have a 2003 but haven't looked yet, only want to do the change once as its such $hit job to get the one screw back in the housing.

thanks
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

Well, got around to changing (sort of)the cabin filter yesterday.

Sure as hell, there are 2 filters up there. I couldn't get the upper one out and gave up. My Hastings filter from Amsoil only had one in the box so, I guess I have to get a hold of them to get the other one.

Anyone have a good tech tip for removing the upper filter? Really a pain trying to get the upper removed while pulling down on the plastic cover cause I didn't want to remove that 3rd screw.

Any help would be appreciated. I wonder who the rocket scientist was at GM that designed this?

Thanks

on my 02 I changed the filters and took all the screws right out. The one by the heater is $hit thing to get back in but found I could do it with a flex type screwdriver.

I will give the amsoil dealer here the number of the filter and get the filter for my 03 as I don't think it has any in it right now but will confirm if they come with the truck or not when I take it apart to install the new ones.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

ccds,

You are correct in that the 2003 did not come with in-cab air filters installed. It is only offered as a dealer option now. The opening is still there, just no filter. I work at the plant where they build the air conditioning modules and according to some of our engineers, GM got a little miffed that very few people were changing the filters when they were supposed to, so they fazed them out.
    2002 GMC HD2500 CC SLT 4x4 D/A!
    One beautiful Black Max with all the toys, now including THE JUICE, Banks Monster Exhaust, Genuine Steel's Stainless Nerf Bars, Tip-up tonneau cover, Kennedy Headlight Harness, Amsoil 2-stage in modified air box, Cabelas Bug Shield, And Weathertech Window Visors.
    It can't get much better than this!
    " INSIDE EVERY MAN, THERE'S A FATBOY TRYING TO GET OUT! "

Norquist

I'm a bit confused by your question "Anyone have a good tech tip for removing the upper filter?" My filters are both at the same height but one is in front of the other. The access opening only allows the removal of the rear filter. Once you remove the rear filter just reach in with your fingers and drag the front filter back to the rear position and it will come out. Before you comment about the lack of space, if I can do it with my big hands (size 13+ ring) anyone can do it.

George
    2001 Chevy 2500HD, LT, ExtCab, 4X4, DMax/Allison, Lt Pewter Metallic/Lt Grey Int. 90 gal aux tank (auxtank.com), Ranch Hand Frontend replacement and Cowboy rear bumper.<br />Jorden Brake Controller<br />2001 32RK Alpenlite

GBurton, In my 2001 the filter's are stacked. The bottom one came right out no problem. I had to get a mirror and flashlight to look up there to even see the other one. I tried with a long screw driver to get it but no luck.

It sounds kind of weird to me that they would put 2 filters in "series" as you have described. but, who know how some design engineers think.

I still could use some advise on how others are removing the upper filter without going insane.

Norquist

I think I understand here. All the trucks are the same. Your filters are installed incorrectly. The two filters, when laying side by side, make a square, so they can be installed "stacked". The correct installation is one forward, and one rear. Not top and bottom. The forward filter goes in first and is pushed forward until there is just enough room for the rear one. It should be a snug fit. The filters go in verticle, not horizontal.

They are made of matted fiber, so you should be able to get a hook in it, if nothing else works. You could try a long needle nose plier, or something similar. If you have a replacement filter element, you may have to sacrifice it to get it out. Good luck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Question

I have an 03 3500 and I removed 2 of the 3 screws and pulled the cover down and I can't see any way of mounting a filter in there. Is it possible the y molded new parts for 03? I would like to add a filter if I knew where to put them.
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE CC LB 4X4, stock except Amsoil front to back

mdrag Guest

Cool

Since I had neglected changing my cabin filters this was a timely topic. I ordered the cabin filters (along with a locking fuel cap and air filter) from www.AC-Direct.com. Thanks Reno DMAX for the link.

It wasn't clear from the information on the website whether the filters were packaged (1) or (2) per part#. I ordered (2) part# CF107C @ $20.73 each. These are supposed to contain activated charcoal and were $1 or $2 more per part number versus part# CF104. Each box contained TWO filters (4 total), so I have a set for next time...

We'll see how the change goes...

ON EDIT: Part# CF104 $19.78. Just checked the part# CF107C and it is now showing $34.80. Looks like I lucked out before the price increase - or they realized there were two filters in each box ... I ordered last week....

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

Thumbs up

For you guys that are having trouble locating/removing your cab filters go here;

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL30/1...4/12145022.ptp
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

In my 2002 the filters are front to back but they are both removed from the back. It was easy to change except for that left side screw. I think next time I won't take it out. I sure like the filters mostly when I am in Guatemala City with all the smoking busses. When I changed them they were black.
    2002 2500HD/LS D/ZF6 Standard cab 4x4 summit white/tan interior<br />tow/camper/dual alt/lock dif/no carpet/fog/skid/Amsoil Airfilter/Amsoil dual bypass/pwrplay/<br />SSrunning boards/kennedy headlight harness/115gal cross bed tank

Can anyone verify that you can put the filters in the "03's"?
    \"03\" GMC Dmax, Allison, extended cab, long box. \"This ain\'t no grocery getter\"

It appears that the filter/fan housing has been redesigned for 03. Just did a side by side comparison and there is no opening for filters, and the design is different,
    2003 GMC 3500 SLE CC LB 4X4, stock except Amsoil front to back