Thread: XM radio antenna

I am planning on adding an XM radio module to my Pioneer Nav/DVD system. I would like to use the antenna that GM puts on the new trucks but do not know if they use standard connectors. The standard antenna leads are coaxial with yellow and green plastic latching clips. Does GM use the standard connector or do they have a proprietary one?
    2002 GMC CC/SB, D/A, Pewter<br />Hot Juice 4.61, 4\" exhaust with 5\" resonator tip, 45 gal Transferflow tank, Wood dash & console, Escalade head rests, Escalade interior and exterior door handles, Electric locking tailgate, Putco ss tailgate, Pioneer DVD/Nav system<br />email: parussky@yahoo.com

The OEM GM antenna is not compatable with the Pioneer tuner. Your best bet IMHO is to use the Pioneer AN-91XM. A guy I work with has one mounted on the dash of his Grand Am and claims great reception, might be worth a shot, stealthy too! I've seem quite a few of them run though the third brake light as well.

TJ
    03 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A CC SB

The factory GM XM antenna is compatible with any XM receiver. However there is a small catch. I bought my 03 with out the XM radio and bought the Alpine instead.

Chevy has broken down the antenna and cable into three different parts.

1. antenna (approx $140)
    2. Cable one which attaches to the antenna and runs down the A pillar. (approx $40)
    3. The cable that plugs into the A pillar cable and goes to the factory XM radio

You need only buy the antenna and the A-Pillar cable. Then you will need to buy an aftermarket XM Cable extension. This cost another $45. The factory antenna, if I recall has male plugs coming out of it. The A-Pillar cable has female connectors on both ends. Then use the aftermarket extension to go from the A-Pillar cable to the XM tuner.

Now here is the key. The factory A-Pillar cable has a GM connector cover over the connectors. This is different then the standard XM connector. You will need to disassemble this cover. This will expose the cable connectors. DO NOT CUT THE CABLE. Simply plug these connectors into a male socket and tape the connectors together very well. Any movement of this connection will result in poor reception. I have done this twice on two different trucks.

It cost way more than a regular aftermarket antenna but looks completely stock.
    Regards,
    Tom Frederico
    MovitBrakesUSA.com
    2003 Chevy 2500HD CC 4X4