Thread: dipstick

anybody else getting false readings on dip stick (if truck isn't perfectly level) or check it 20 minutes after changing oil and let it set seems to read lower then before,,
    2- 2002, 3500 cc 4x2 duramax/allisions lt 1-black 1- red ,juiced,westin tubes, husky mudflaps,custom made air scoop for allision trans,

Mine requires 11 qts every change with the filter to bring the level to the top of the in range level. I know 10 is suppose to be the number, but 10 leaves it down a little in the "in range" zone. I like it all the way to the top and this takes an extra qt. I also change mine on an incline and let it drain for a good 10-15 minutes so maybe I am getting a little more of the old stuff out each change. Maybe not, but 11 qts. is what mine takes and yes I have checked it on level ground several times over 1-2 days before I put the extra qt. in.
    \'01 Chevy EC/2WD/SB, T/F 45 gal, Delvac 1, TranSynd, deep pan, MAG drain plug. Escalade handles & painted bumper capto. After market grill, billet bowtie, Stockland cover, no side trim, no juice, no gauges, nuttin but stock! Nicktane Big CAT Pre-OEM. Gone, but not forgotten.

'07 Crew Cab LBZ stock all the way except added 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank and billet grille. Great truck also now gone, but not forgotten.

'12 Crew Cab stock for a few more days LOL

3176CATPOWER Guest

I check mine on the garage floor which is level.After parking with a hot engine I pull the stick,wipe it off,push in about half way and let truck sit a while to let oil which seems to accumalate in dip stick tube drain down,then push stick down,pull out and check.If I do not follow this procedure it seems when the stick is pulled out it drags oil up in tube giving useless readings.

It is imposible to read the oil level the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th TIME and so on.
    After the 5th time of dipping and wiping I will only put the dip stick in to the first "O" ring in order that only the very tip of the dip stick touches the top most point of oil in the oil pan, I only want to see oil in the bottom notch.

Im use to multiple dip and wipes now

Good Luck
    GMC 2002 DURAMAX, SLT, EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500HD, 4X4, AUTO
    ACCESS TONNEAU COVER, 3" STAINLESS TUBE STEPS
    JORDAN BRAKE CONTROLLER
    34ft 10,000 lb TRAILER, 50 GAL TRANSFERE FLOW TANK (total 76 gals)

I modified mine a little by using a file to take the ridges off. Others have drilled holes between the ridges. Seems to work pretty good without the bumps there to hold the oil. Also check the back of the stick, pretty easy to read there.
    TDPmember#6216 <a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/akdmax\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Pics</b></a><br />2002 Storm Gray CC SLE, D-max/Alli, Retrax bed cover, J&J Millenium boards and mud flaps, Weathertech weatherflectors, Catch-All liners, MITO DVD, Panasonic LA95, High Idle, Hard wired radar detector, lightforce 240blitz driving lights.<i> <a href=\"mailto:akdmax@hotmail.com\">akdmax@hotmail. com</a> </i>

Capacity in the manual is 10.8 qts. That is pretty close to 11.

Kevin
    2K2 EC/SB K2500 D/A<br />Other than the TS123, Dakota Digital Boost and EGT gauges and the H2 Wheels with 33x12.50 R17s - Bone Stock

"manual....manual....don't need no stinkin manual!"

I threw mine out so's I would have more room in the glovebbox ha ha ha LOL

OK thanks there AK Dmax, you're the first one to say that and on other post we have argued the capacity with everyone saying 10 qts. max. What page did you find the 10.8 qts listed? Mine says 10 qts, but doesn't mention the filter change which I figure is good for a qt. more or .8 if you have found the magic page.

Anyway, thanks and I don't feel so weird now putting in 11 qts. each time. I am sure when the dealer was changing it I only got 10 qts., but now "I" am taking care of my baby and need to be sure it is well fed! LOL
    \'01 Chevy EC/2WD/SB, T/F 45 gal, Delvac 1, TranSynd, deep pan, MAG drain plug. Escalade handles & painted bumper capto. After market grill, billet bowtie, Stockland cover, no side trim, no juice, no gauges, nuttin but stock! Nicktane Big CAT Pre-OEM. Gone, but not forgotten.

'07 Crew Cab LBZ stock all the way except added 45 gallon Transfer Flow tank and billet grille. Great truck also now gone, but not forgotten.

'12 Crew Cab stock for a few more days LOL

HMMMMMM

The Helms manual for the 01's 6.6 show 8 quarts with filter....Shows how much they know !!!!!!!!

They should notify the owners of the errors and the availability of a corrected issue.....Or some form of notice of errors found in order to notify manual owners so someone could add a note or something.....

MAC

Talking

Fred,

I have noticed the same thing. If I check it after immediately shutting down, it will be low. Generally it will show 1/5 quart low after filling the fuel tank. If I check it after it has set for 30 minutes or more, it will show full.

[ 10-14-2002: Message edited by: Russ Denman ]</p>
    2002 GMC 2500HD Pewter/Pewter CC/LB/4x4/SLT Duramax/Allison<br />AMSOIL Air Filter, AMSOIL Dual Remote Oil Filter<br />Advanced Cover folding tonneau cover

imported_ Guest

I always check mine cold,just pull the stick out,
    whatever it says it is,no need to wipe off.I
    never check it warm,figure if it won't run all
    day without checking the oil I'll let it blow up.

Lightbulb

Boys, check your oil in the morning after the truck has set overnight, it takes awhile for the oil to drain back to the crankcase.
    Joe

Like Mackin says "The Helms manual for the 01's ('02's too) 6.6 show 8 quarts with filter....Shows how much they know !!!!!!!!"

I noticed that too. If you notice they got the liters correct, just didn't calculate the quarts correctly. I was a little concerned as after putting in 8 quarts the oil didn't even show on the dipstick!
    \'02 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 D/A CC SB Mega 50gal-Transferflow